Hyaluronic acid, that gel-like water holding molecule that holds moisture and provides support to the body as a space filler, is produced by cells called fibroblasts in the body. Hyaluronic acid resides in the gooey material between cells called connective tissue.
While dermatologists and orthopedists inject hyaluronic acid (HA) into joints and the skin, saying hyaluronic acid is not orally absorbed, studies below show that oral HA is not only orally absorbed but stimulates the natural production of HA in the body.
Physicians are not attuned to the many health benefits provided by hyaluronic acid. Here are some applications of oral HA therapy.
- Moisturizes the skin. [Bioscience Biotechnology Biochemistry June 2016; Journal Photochemistry Photobiology Dec 2015; Nutrition Journal July 11, 2014]
- Lubricates joints and relieves pain. Oral hyaluronic acid is on par with injected HA. [Nutrition Journal Jan 27, 2016; European Journal Rheumatology Sept 2015; Musculoskeletal Surgery Sept 28, 2016]
- Resolution of floaters. [Survey Ophthalmology March-April 2016]
- Glaucoma: improve flow of aqueous fluid from the front of the eyes to normalize eye fluid pressure (by 10 points, unpublished). [Ultrastructural Pathology April 2012; Experimental Eye Research 2005]
- As an eye drop to lubricate the surface of the eyes. [Oasis Tears]
- Scarring of the eyes.
- Restoration of vitreous gel filler to push back retinal tears and retinal detachments. [European Journal Ophthalmology Nov 2016]
- Macular holes
- Macular pucker
- Focusing improvement based upon refilling the eye and shifting the focus point and therefore lengthening the eye (potentially helpful for farsightedness).
- Vocal cord scarring; improvement of voice with advancing age. [Otolaryngology Polish Feb 2016]
- Increase in fullness of the lips.
- Urinary tract infections (combined with quercetin and chondroitin sulfate) [European Journal Obstetrics Gynecology Reproductive Biology Nov 2016]
- Reduction of skin wrinkling
- Sciatic nerve pain
- Carpal and ulnar tunnel [Current Medical Research Opinion Sept 2009]
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint) pain (jaw)
- Prevent surgical adhesions
- Interstitial cystitis (bladder pain) [Expert Opinion Investigative Drugs 2016]
There are many brands of oral HA. The effective dose is in the range of 50-100 milligrams per day. It should not be overdosed. HA is derived from rooster comb or chicken sternum cartilage or synthetically made by fermentation.